10 Legit Ways to Get Backlinks to Your Site
So you’ve built a fantastic website for your business, but how do you maximise the value of your site? Google optimisation is based on the premise that the more people who visit and like a website, the higher its ranking in search results on Google. Popularity is a great indicator of a website’s value and backlinks from other websites to yours are important as Google sees these as “points” on the “Google scorecard”. The more points you have, the higher your score, the higher you rank on one of the biggest search engines worldwide.
Backlinks are incoming hyperlinks directing traffic from one website back to yours; they enable other sites to link to your website’s relevant content. For example, if you were writing an article on Property Maintenance, a link from a Real Estate Institute’s site pointing to your site would be beneficial. But not all links carry the same worth; links from a quality site with a high rank give a higher score than those of their lower ranked counterpart, and reciprocal links cancel each other out (a link from “thissite.com” to “thatsite.com” only registers if there is no link coming back from “thatsite.com”).
Ever been reading an article on gardening, only to inadvertently click a link and be directed to a weightloss product website? Links should be from sites within your niche market, for obvious relevancy reasons but also because Google penalises websites that contain multiple backlinks from irrelevant pages. Irrelevant linking could cause your site to be blacklisted by Google. A blacklisting from Google is very difficult to undo and results in your website not appearing in searches, so steer clear of obtaining links from sites that aren’t relevant to yours.
Ten legitimate sources to obtain high quality backlinks include:
- Online advertising – it may cost a small amount at first, but advertisers can gain a lot of quality backlinks in a fast manner from online advertising.
- Guest Blogging – approach other relevant sites to submit guest blogs that contain backlinks to your site.
- Blog comments and answering questions in forums – when forum visitors see you providing feedback and professional advice they are likely to visit your site. Be sure to include a link to your site in the signature of your comment.
- List with an online business directory
- Article writing – write brief articles and submit them to online article directories (such as ezine.com). The backlink to your site should be included in a short bio at the end of your article.
- Social Media – Link your blog to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn status updates
- Press release – submit press release content containing links to your site to online publications.
- Email – establish your website address in your email footer
- You Tube – create You Tube tutorials and footage and include links back to your site
- Pinterest – add images from your site to your Pinterest boards. This makes your website a little more personable while driving traffic to your site from the Pinterest website.
It is important to find legitimate ways to obtain backlinks to your site. The best way to get backlinks is by including informative, helpful information on your site, so that other site and blog owners will want to link to your content, creating more traffic and a higher Google ranking for your growing business.